Sunday, June 17, 2012

films, reading...

I'm a romantic at heart I guess. I subscribe to Netflix online streaming and I've been watching mostly Asian films lately. Chinese and Korean are my favorites, and my last two indulgences were 'Snow Flower and the Secret Fan', and 'Maybe'. One way I judge how much I liked a film is how it stays with me, how enjoyable parts resurface in my thoughts in the days following my watching it.
Another indulgence I've been allowing myself lately is reading. I've found some gems in the daily 'freebies' offered by Amazon, the latest being 'In the Presence of My Enemies', written by the American missionary who was held captive by Muslim terrorists in the Philippines for 13 months. Yesterday I finished a 'Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea', a title I had on Hold with the Seattle Public Library. With a Kindle, you can check out and download digital copies from SPL.
Life is good.
ps - actually, my reading doesn't sound that romantic, does it? I read a book called 'Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West' awhile back, and that led me to do a search on spl.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment