Thursday, February 9, 2012

love-hate

I remember saying that I had a love-hate relationship with Japan when I lived there, but I didn't feel comfortable using the word 'hate'. Sometimes I would substitute the word 'dislike' instead. The memories of previous readings, or historical news programs?, must have been in the back of my mind. Anyway, I've always enjoyed 'historical fiction' with fictional characters, and sometimes real historical figures, woven into their story lines. I've read real life accounts of the Bataan Death March for example, Iwo Jima, and any number of POW stories. I'm still watching 'The City of Life and Death', but I can only watch it in 15-20 minutes spurts, it's that powerful... John Raab, who is depicted in the film, was a "German businessman who saved more than 200000 Chinese during the Nanjing ..." He was recalled to Germany in 1938 because the Nazis objected to him helping the 'enemies' of their ally Japan. In spite of his efforts to help the Chinese people in Nanking, he was ostracized because of his Nazi connections towards the end of his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment