Wednesday, February 22, 2012

nightmares

I remember an episode when I was 15 and a half, hearing a commotion in another room of our house, and finding my father on the floor after a drinking friend of his had pushed him over some furniture. I kicked the man out of our house that night, and my mother told Dad about it the next day. That was the last day my father ever drank alcohol.
I remember the routines, when Mom would give me a dollar and say "Chuck, go to the store and buy some pop." We would all be happy. Dad was stopping his drinking, again. And we were all going to get a little glass of pop.
I also remember a dream I had when I was around 27 years old...Dad started drinking again! That dream had been coming to me during the night for over a decade, and I had been suppressing it.
I never had that dream again.

No comments:

Post a Comment