Thursday, March 22, 2012

"how about I come over to your place and I kick your butt"

from another brother, Pat R:
"28 years ago, I was passed out lying face down on the floor of a dingy apartment I was living in in Ballard. The phone started ringing. I came to and picked up the phone. It was Dad.  He asked me if I was going to the AA meeting we had talked about the night before.  I had no idea what he was talking about. He said I agreed to to go an AA meeting with him.  In my blackout the night before I had no memory of the conversation. I told him the same thing I had been telling myself for years.  I said, 'Dad I am not going to drink or take drugs anymore because I've had enough and I can't stand it any longer but I am not going to any dammed AA meeting.' I had never been to an AA meeting before but I wasn't going to stoop to that level of needing help. 'I could do this on my own', I told him. Dad said, 'I'll tell you what, how about I come over to your place and kick your butt to a meeting.'  I could tell by the tone of his voice he was serious and he would do just that.  I let him take me to a meeting that day.  After the meeting, I remember looking at Dad and saying, 'Those people are just like me.'  It has been almost 28 years now and I have not taken a drink or used drugs in all these years."

No comments:

Post a Comment